Saturday, April 9, 2011

Weekend News

My system performed poorly in December and now also late March.  Both time periods coincide with strong rallies during a supposed downtrend.  The biggest strength of my model is that it is adaptable and dynamic. It first determines the status of the market which I have called healthy or unhealthy. I hesitate to call it uptrending or downtrending b/c it's more sophisticated than that.  It then uses variable parameters to calculate the signals, depending on the market's health.  Both in Dec and late March, in hindsight it's easy to see the system was too slow with the switch back to healthy status.  Of course, you also want to avoid the whipsaw action that's prevalent during unhealthy times, so the balance has to be just right.  That is the key.  With that in mind, I think I've accomplished the goal.  The adjustment I'm making requires very little change to the model.  I'm not messing with the code that calculates the buy/sell signals nor am I messing with how it handles the transition from healthy to unhealthy.  I'm only changing how it handles the transition from unhealthy to healthy so that we are not shorting heavily into real strength.  Here are some side by side examples of how the new technique compares to the old.  First example, from December 2010 - the only month my system took a loss since the inception of this site.  (click to enlarge, if necessary)













It's obvious the changeover back to healthy on the 24th makes a dramatic difference.  Here is example #2 from last month...













Again, the switch to "healthy" on the 23rd allows the system to catch the Buy signal on the 23rd and the 28th. The percent gain in both these cases is significant to say the least.  The examples go on and on in the past, but I will refrain from making this post longer than it already is.  We probably won't see the benefits of this tweak for awhile since we are already "healthy", but I have confidence we'll be able to buy in near the bottom the next time the market is down.  Have a good weekend...and here's to a gap up next Monday! :)

Friday, April 8, 2011

Buy confirmed

830pm:  I could've lived without the pop at the end of the day, but the buy signal held on.. barely... I covered all my shorts and took a 50% long position & 50% cash.  The average price of the system's short position was TNA 79.71 back in March. So the loss was pretty substantial (-9.85%), but not as bad as it could've been I suppose.  I will have a system update post this weekend describing a new technique for determining the health of the market, and thus better identifying which code to use for calculating signals. Going forward, I think this will be a significant improvement.  I'm excited to see how it works.  Backtesting shows vastly superior results versus the previous method.  More details this weekend.  Hope you enjoy yours.

3pm:  Our entry price keeps getting better and better.   Loss on my short position is shrinking as well.  Buy signal is even stronger.  Just a few points away from my 1320 target. 

2pm: Still a solid buy. 

11:20am:  If the market closed right now, we'd be looking at a buy signal.  I'm not sure if it will last but I'll update prior to the close.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Hold confirmed.

4pm:  A rather dull afternoon of trading leads to another hold signal.  Small caps took a much bigger hit than the SPX.  Oh darn! :)  It's about time.  I'm still holding a huge TNA short position.  I would like to see SPX hit 1320 before exiting my shorts.  I think we can do it tomorrow.   My short term upside target remains 1350-60...although this is just a stupid silly guess.  

3:47pm: SPY close of 133.59 or higher will also trigger a buy signal. But it looks like neither will happen and we'll have another hold signal. 


1:37pm: Now that the high and low of the day have probably been determined, the math can be done to predict the signal.  A close equal to or lower than SPY 132.88 will trigger a buy signal.  Anything higher and I will continue to hold shorts. Ok, time to head outside and enjoy the nice weather...

11:36am:  Chances of a buy signal are getting better by the minute....

11:28am: There's about a 40% chance of a buy signal today.  If not today, tomorrow may offer another good buying opportunity.  Time will tell.  I will update with the ending signal before the close.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Short

4:05: A short signal was produced on the close.   Who has guts to short this market though?  It may just payoff for those brave enough.  Bullishness is getting extreme. 

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Hold

4:15pm:  Oops, I got busy today and forgot to update my page.  Nothing new to report.  Still holding my short position.  Would love to see a retrace back to 1300 before heading higher.  Wishful thinking, perhaps...

Monday, April 4, 2011

Hold confirmed.

358p: Hold

I may get a signal to cover the losing short position I'm currently holding.  This would effectively sideline me and keep me out of the market until the next buy or short signal.  I'm not sure this signal will last into the close so I'll update later.

Friday, April 1, 2011

Patiently Holding

I'm now trapped big-time on my short position.  Looks like I'm going to have to wait it out a few days longer.   Drawdowns are a real bummer.  Official signal today will be another hold.  Enjoy your weekend!